The main criteria to becoming a foster carer is that you are over the age of 23 and that you have a spare bedroom available in your home.
We run information sessions twice a month and this is an opportunity for you to meet our team, have an overview of what it’s like to be a foster carer and an opportunity for you to ask any questions that you may have.
Application forms will be available for you to complete and return to us and then we will work at your pace through the assessment process but our aim is to finalise your journey within 4 months.
The assessment process includes the following:
- Initial Home visit to include Health & Safety expectations.
- Completion of DBS application forms for all household members aged 18+ as well as any frequent visitors to the family home and your support carers.
- You will need to arrange and attend a medical at your GP surgery.
- Completion of a local authority Form to enable us to conduct a local authority check on you.
- Our administration team will work with you to complete your mandatory background checks and references.
- You will need to attend a three day Skills to Foster training programme or a one day refresher course for transferring carers prior to attending fostering panel.
- During the assessment process we will appoint a social worker to conduct your fostering assessment (Form F).
- The social worker will be responsible for meeting with you on approximately six to eight occasions, interviewing you, your birth children where applicable, your nominated referees and back up or support carers.
- Your social worker will be responsible for compiling you fostering assessment which on completion you will need to read and sign in agreement.
- The assessment will be presented to our fostering panel for their consideration to approve you as a foster carer.
- You will need to attend panel with your Social Worker and they will make the recommendation on your behalf. During the panel presentation, panel members may ask you or your social workers additional questions in support of your application.
We’ve been assessing foster carers for many years now and are well aware of how to support you through this process from start to finish.